Linux is one of the most powerful operating systems available today. It is so because it provides numerous applications that give amazing functionality which windows software can not simply do , but we all have our own reasons to use windows as our main operating system. But how if you get to run the Linux application on your windows OS ? Several Tricks for using Linux applications on windows.
5 Best Ways to Use Linux inside windows OS
Wubi is an official installer for Windows users that allows Ubuntu to be installed and uninstalled in a safe, easy way as any other Windows application. Wubi installs the latest stable release of Ubuntu on your Windows system. Wubi does not work on any new PC with the Windows 8 logo or using UEFI firmware.Use a 64-bit version of Ubuntu, installed directly to its own partition instead.
Downloading and Installation of Wubi :
- Download Wubi from the Ubuntu Windows Installer Download page; this will provide you with the latest version.
- You can download other versions of the Ubuntu from pages on releases.ubuntu.com look for wubi.exe at the bottom of the page.
- Run Wubi.
- Insert a password for the new account, adjust the disc space and click on ”install” button
- The installation process from this point on is fully automatic.
- The installation files (approximately 700MB) will be downloaded and checked.
- Now you will be asked to reboot your system.
- Do so and select Ubuntu at the boot screen. The installation will continue for more 10 to 15 minutes and the system will reboot again.
- Now select Ubuntu at the boot screen and start using it.
Cygwin provides many tools that give look and feeling of Linux system interface on your windows machine.
Downloading and Installation of Cygwin :
I. For 32-bit versions of Windows:
Run setup-x86.exe of Cygwin package for 32-bit windows. The signature for setup-x86.exe can be used to verify the validity of this binary using this public key.
II. For 64-bit versions of Windows:
Run setup-x86_64.exe of Cygwin package for 64-bit windows. The signature for setup-x86_64.exe can be used to verify the validity of binary using this public key.
- On the first time, setup.exe does not install every package only base packages of Cygwin distribution will be installed.
- You can control what you want to install by Clicking on categories and packages in the setup.exe.
- If you Click on “Default” field next to the “All” category, it will install every Cygwin package but this could be of hundreds of MBs.
I recommend you to select only those Packages which you actually need.
3. Ulteo Virtual Desktop
Here I am providing you with the link to its official site.
Follow the steps and get installation in a few minutes only.
- Download The Ulteo Open Virtual Desktop.
- Read the Installation Guide and follow instructions to complete an installation.
AndLinux is a Ubuntu Linux operating system that can run on Windows based systems i.e. 2000, XP, 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7( 32-bit versions only). AndLinux uses coLinux as its core which is confuses many people. coLinux is a port of the Linux kernel on Windows. This is like running Linux in a virtual machine. AndLinux is not just for development and it runs almost all Linux applications without any need of modification.
Downloading and Installation of AndLinux:
- There are instructions given at the official website along with the screen shots about Installation .
- You can Download AndLinux Latest Version From Here.
- After installation completes you will get some right-click context menus in Windows to open files in Linux applications.
5. By Installing Linux Virtually
- You can simply power on and power off Linux whenever you need while using windows.
- The advantage of using such virtual software is that it doesn’t require a fixed space for an operating system in your system’s memory , either in RAM or HDD.
- It is loaded only when it is running while rest of the time it is kept out of memory.
13 thoughts on “5 Best Ways to Use Linux inside Windows OS”
Really nice article full of knowledge
(y) great job bro… thank u
Thanks for the informations? Very useful
thanks for this, but which these software works well on windows 8
vmware or virtual machine
I want some help from your blog can you contact me on Facebook
My username is
i have no knowledge about linux.How can i learn easy way Linux pls help me.should i installed in my pc. i m now running win 8
take the risk and try it. I didnt know much about computers when I started using Linux…Just back up your work and instal Linux along windows….and keep informed, get yourself in a forum, people are keen to help…enjoy
Can u tell me how to access vmware os by using putty in windows 7
Blocked for India !!!
Censorship sucks! I’m not sure how to help but good luck!
Cygwin is my fav. Be any Win flavor, Cygwin [Bash Shell] should be there!